You are here: Home > Home Remedies For Ticks
With summertime comes another season of dealing with those pesty critters we call Ticks.
With the risks of diseases spread by these little creatures, I felt I would share some of the info I found in dealing with these things, so here are some home remedies for ticks.
*** Note *** If you think you or your pets are infested with ticks or fleas, it is imerative to remove them. Once removed, click the link below for clean up and prevention!
Before we figure out how to get rid of them, lets explore what they are first. Ticks are blood feeding external parasites that attach themselves to living creatures.
There are approximately 850 species worldwide and some can carry some nasty diseases. As they feed the body grows with yes, with the blood of the host.
Not a pretty thought, I know. This picture is a Deer Tick, and they are the most common found.They are mostly associated with spreading Lymes Disease. This link will help to explain some of the symptoms to look for if you think you have been infected with this disease.
Home remedies to get rid of ticks
Home remedies for pets and people for getting rid of Ticks can be risky
Disclaimer: many experts say that disturbing the tick can make it regurgitate, or throw up so to speak, and since the diseases a tick might be carrying are in the body, this would send it right into the hosts bloodstream. While I found many easy home remedies, and I will list some of them, I personally recommend only the first option.
- Using as pair of tweezers, grab the body as far up as you can get to the head of the tick. In one swift upward motion pull the tick off.
- Take your finger and carefully rotate the body of the Tick in a circular direction. It is said that within seconds the Tick will back right out.
- Insect spray on a q-tip, then applied to the head of the Tick, is said to make them back right out.
- A quick wash with Pert Plus for dandruff from the head down will immediately back out ticks
- Touching the head of the Tick with a freshly put out match has been said to make them back out, but be careful get it done the first time. ( See disclaimer above)
The most important part of fighting ticks is to keep yourself, your kids and your pets covered when out in the woods or parks, or anywhere that Ticks might frequent.
This is not always possible, so when you get in from your adventure make sure you check them over, and yourself too, for any possible Ticks.
If you do find the pests and you want to have them checked for disease after you remove them save them in an air tight jar and take them to your vet.
Products to help prevent and remove tick infestation!
Check out this essential book on Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Disorders, 2nd Edition
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps keep you safe during the Tick season!
Return to the top of the page
Please share this page!